Guidelines for Songbridge premieres
Songbridge composers are expected to take into account the following requirements:
- The duration of the composition should be 8-10 minutes.
- The composition should primarily be a cappella, but may have some instrumentation. However mere piano accompaniment is to be avoided.
- Some choreography and/or dramatization may be included.
- The work should be in harmony with the UNESCO theme Music in the service of peace and understanding. The text should be rather short with a powerful meaning. Various languages can be used, including the choir’s native language.
- The composition process should be in close co-operation with the choir.
- The work should include three different kinds of sections:
1. The main body of the composition should be written for the commissioning choir.
2. A shorter part should be written for the other Songbridge choirs, to join the main choir.
3. The composer should also include a not too complicated “Hymn section” for the audience to sing, preferably in unison.